This year’s Spelling Bee is dedicated to the memory of champion speller and avid reader, Suzanne Bailey.
The 4th-Ever Alpine Adult Spelling Bee will be held on Saturday, April 7 from 5 pm to 8 pm at the Alpine Civic Center, doors open at 5 pm. We will have celebrity judges, the taco bar (included with team registration), and lots of fun. Cash prizes for the first- and second-place teams and door prizes will be given away during the event. Team registration is now open. For more information call 432-837-2621. Spectators are welcome to join the fun. The $5.00 admission fee (children 12 and under are free) includes the Taco Bar. A cash bar will also be available.
Make a team and participate or come watch teams of spellers compete to win 1st- and 2nd-Place for CASH prizes. Spectators can cheer them on, spell along to test yourself, vote for audience choice awards and win door prizes!
- Teams of up to 4 members will compete against each other. A team may compete with fewer members.
- The emcee will read a word (words will increase in difficulty as the rounds progress), the emcee will give a definition, use the word in a sentence, and repeat the word one time.
- Most words will come from the Scripps National Spelling Bee lists and lists of commonly misspelled words, available on the Internet.
- Team members will consult and write the agreed-upon spelling on a small white board. Teams will have 30 seconds to consult. A timekeeper will announce when time is up.
- At a signal from the timekeeper, teams will hold up their boards simultaneously, and the judges will determine which teams have spelled the word correctly. Those teams will move to the next round. The decision of the judges is final.
- Each team is allowed one miss. After the second miss, the team may buy back in for $10 per team member, for one more miss only.
- The bee continues until only one team remains.